Red heat lamp vs. Clear heat lamp

El Gallinero

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Does a red heat lamp make chickens more aggressive towards each other? I have had two chickens die in the last 24 hrs. The only change I have made is the color of the heat lamp. Both also had a big hole in their vent area. They are 10 months old.

The theory is that red makes them less aggressive, and also encourages more rest. The holes near the vent were likely due to cannibalism, either before or after the victim's death.

You don't give any details of your setup. Ten month old chickens do not need a heat lamp. As a rule, chickens are aggressive because they are in too little space or get too little protein. Do they have outdoor access?

How many birds do you have? In the coop birds need a minimum of 4 sq.feet per bird, in the outside run they require 10 sg. feet per bird, if they are over crowded they frequently will peck at each other, feather pull, and even kill & eat each other. Do you have too many roosters together maybe they are killing each other? Really need more details in order to help you. How many birds together, how many hens and roosters? Do they free range or are they kept together in a run etc?

Do you think one bird is attacking others, or a group of birds ganging up on some. Maybe you could borrow a game camera and set it up so you can see what is going on and which birds are doing it.

images

I agree with all that has been said above. Crowded conditions cause cannibalism. And keeping a constant heat lamp on 10 month old birds is bad for their health. They need to get out of the coop and get fresh air and exercise. If you have been using this lamp all winter and it is very cold outside, you will need to lower the heat just as you did with them as chicks so they are not shocked to the outside temp. Get them out of the coop and give them something to do other than pick on each other.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 what was said above so far as heat lamps, space issues and flock dynamics. Also double check that you do not have some sort of predator problem, the game camera is a good idea for that also.

Back
Top Bottom