Red heat lamp vs. Clear heat lamp

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by El Gallinero, Jan 17, 2014.

1. El Gallinero

El Gallinero New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Does a red heat lamp make chickens more aggressive towards each other? I have had two chickens die in the last 24 hrs. The only change I have made is the color of the heat lamp. Both also had a big hole in their vent area. They are 10 months old.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The theory is that red makes them less aggressive, and also encourages more rest. The holes near the vent were likely due to cannibalism, either before or after the victim's death.

You don't give any details of your setup. Ten month old chickens do not need a heat lamp. As a rule, chickens are aggressive because they are in too little space or get too little protein. Do they have outdoor access?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How many birds do you have? In the coop birds need a minimum of 4 sq.feet per bird, in the outside run they require 10 sg. feet per bird, if they are over crowded they frequently will peck at each other, feather pull, and even kill & eat each other. Do you have too many roosters together maybe they are killing each other? Really need more details in order to help you. How many birds together, how many hens and roosters? Do they free range or are they kept together in a run etc?

Do you think one bird is attacking others, or a group of birds ganging up on some. Maybe you could borrow a game camera and set it up so you can see what is going on and which birds are doing it.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC

So sorry to hear about your problems with your birds. The posts above give some good suggestions.

5. [​IMG]
    10 month old chickens should have been outside and away from the heat lamp along time ago. They only need the heat lamp until they are fully feathered so 2 - 3 months. So... Good Luck, and sorry to hear you lost a few chickens...

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I agree with all that has been said above. Crowded conditions cause cannibalism. And keeping a constant heat lamp on 10 month old birds is bad for their health. They need to get out of the coop and get fresh air and exercise. If you have been using this lamp all winter and it is very cold outside, you will need to lower the heat just as you did with them as chicks so they are not shocked to the outside temp. Get them out of the coop and give them something to do other than pick on each other.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X5 what was said above so far as heat lamps, space issues and flock dynamics. Also double check that you do not have some sort of predator problem, the game camera is a good idea for that also.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. As others have stated, I feel that the problem is something other than the heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by