Red heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by finsfan7920, May 12, 2011.

1. finsfan7920

finsfan7920 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I'm in FL and have 4 week old chicks that dont have all their feathers yet, when can i take the heat lamp off them?

2. arohli

arohli Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    North Bend, WA
    At 4 weeks, they should be kept around 75 degrees...so if your weather is that warm, you don't need the heat lamp. The chicks will definitely let you know if they're too cold...lots of complaining!

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I leave it in there till about 6 weeks just to make sure you know, you never can be too sure. [​IMG]

4. finsfan7920

finsfan7920 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    deleted

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Umm.. what answer do you want? It's a cockeral. The legs are yellow and not dark in front. Looks like it had/has a big 'dot' on top of it's head & that comb!!! [​IMG]

That is my guess at least.. I am pretty sure about it. You can wait and see how the feathers come in.. if they are more white it should be a cockerel and if they are dark it is a pullet. I still stand by my guess.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'm in Florida and this time of year at four weeks they're out of the brooder and into the growout pen. In the cooler times of the year I don't move them out until about six weeks, but it's topping ninety every day now so as long as they're mostly feathered out they no longer need the heat. Younger than that I turn the light off during the day but turn it back on again at night. For really young chicks such as the turkey poults I hatched last weekend I keep the light on 24/7 but just recently went over to a lower wattage bulb for daytime use then back again to the higher wattage for after dark. Our high for today is predicted to be 94 so you can see once it's good and hot outside the lamp can become a detriment.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'm shutting the heat off at 75-80 degrees ambient (about 10AM in TN) and leaving it off all day but it's still cooling off around midnight so I switch the lamp on when I go to bed. Youngest chick is 3 weeks so not feathered out yet.

8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    You don't have to use that high wattage bulb if your air is relatively warm..I am using a 60 watt amber bulb and they are doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by