red heat light at night effecting egg laying habits?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coolchick, Dec 14, 2008.

1. coolchick

coolchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    It' is going to be below 0 here in MT for a couple of days and I wanted to provide our red sex links with a little extra heat at night. I am using a red heat light that I used for them as chicks, but I am concerned that this kind of light might effect their internal clocks. I have read not to give them more than fourteen hours of light. Does anybody know if this red light effects their sleep and egg laying habits? Your help is always appreciated.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I can't answer your question about egg laying but I put a red heat light in my coop for the girls and they stayed awake all night and scratching on the floor where it was the coldest. I now run a white heat lamp on the waterer for 12 hours a day to keep it from freezing so fast. This also keeps the birds on the roost at night where is some 20 degrees warmer.

3. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have red light to keep the waterer thawed. My birds lay 6 a week each, with no interruptions from the cold yet.

4. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    i am very curious about this too.

last night i decided to put a red light in the coop for a bit of warmth... it's suppose to be well below freezing here for several days.

i checked on the hens several times and they were snuggled in and sleeping as if that light didn't exist. i'm wondering if they see red.

5. Casa Pollo Magico

Casa Pollo Magico New Egg

Dec 14, 2008
    I have also been struggling with the light question. I have had my girls with a white heat lamp in the coopas soon as they come in from the outside run. Its on all the time this past winter. Is this bad for them? They roost ok but they never have it dark. Do chickens need dark?

I have heard that chickens can not see the red heat light, but then comes the question does the red light count for extra light during the winter months? Or only warmth?

Thank you for any help!

6. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I use a red heat lamp and it is 10 degrees F right now and I got the most (10 eggs) I've ever gotten out of them. I usually average 6-8 eggs and got 11. I do not believe it affects them at all.

jeremy

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, lights on 24/7 is stressful for them and can lead to pecking issues. All creatures, humans included, need periods of night and day.
    If I wanted to use a light for heat only purposes I would use a red light.

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I used a red light for heat until recently- but my girls were up as early as three a.m. fussing and ready to start their day- I know they arent supposed to see red, but they didnt read that instruction manual.

I switched to a radiator style heater, and now they are sleeping in until daylight.

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine don't even notice the red light.

10. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Mine have never been affected by the red light. They always roost all night and wake at first light! Egg production has remained the same with and without.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by