1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

red heat lights

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gjoyner, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

hey, i have three 6 month old chickens in a smller coop..i have light in the coop that is on a timer in the mornings..but im worried about the times i will have to keep them warm. i want ot get a red light for warming..but i cant seem to find one under 250 watts and above 25 watts.
    i feel like 250 watts is too hot..and i dont want them up all night with a regular light.
    what do u guys do?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I got an 85 watt floodlight at Wal-Mart on the lightbulb aisle. The same one can be had in red, blue, green or "anti-bug" colors.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i buy my heat lamps at Petco or Petsmart in the reptile section. You can get 75 watt bulbs and those seem just right for brooders or for keeping chickens warm, without broiling them.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've accrued a whole collection of red bulbs for the brooder, I think I have 40, 75ish, 100, 125ish, 175 and of course the 250. Look all over the lightbulb shelves at Walmart, Home Depot, places like that. Doesn't matter whether it is lightbulb shaped or floodlight shaped, and doesn't have to say 'heat' on it. (All lightbulbs of a certain wattage put out pretty much the same amount of heat, 'heat' labelling is mainly p.r. Thus any 125w bulb, of whatever persuasion as long as it's incandescent, will put out about half the heat of any 250w bulb)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by