red hi-line?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mom'sfolly, Apr 15, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I just bought a new pullet, about 4 months old from the feed store. They said she was a red hi-line. Anyone know what that is? The roosters were mostly white with a little buff on their back. She is much lighter in color than my red sex-linked, and has a little white on her instead of black, but she could be a different cross. Thanks for your help.

Karen

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your saying she is red with white or cream feathers.sounds like a golden comet to me.but they name the crosses differant.

3. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Okay, I looked at her carefully. Her legs are more white than yellow, she has white or cream colored feathers around the base of her neck, her wing flight feathers are mostly white and she has white "drawers". Doesn't really matter what she is, we like her and hopefully her new friends will too.

Karen

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a red sex-link, which is a hybrid caused by crossing a red colored male with a silver gened female. The male chicks are yellow and the females a light buff.

There are several different breeds used to make the cross and there are many different names for the offspring like Golden Comet, Red Star, Golden Buff, Hi-Line Red, etc...They are used for commercial brown egg production, and they are one of my very favorite breeds. All of mine have been so friendly and full of personality.

Here's my favorite Golden Comet hen Ella:

[​IMG]

Here's Angel the Golden Comet as a chick:

[​IMG]

And Agatha the Golden Comet:

[​IMG]

As you can see they don't all look alike, but they are all so nice!

5. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    She looks alot like your birds. My other red sex-linked is darker. My dark red sex-linked is the sweetest bird we have. My boys named her Chick, but she's been upgraded to Boss Chick for obvious reasons. Thanks for the help.

Karen

6. Tony A

Tony A Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    Tipperary, Ireland
    I have found the Hi-Line the best layers, they lay every day for nearly 2 years no matter what the weather is like.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by