Red, Inflamed Feet and Legs? (w/ pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, May 17, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Songster

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi guys, I noticed on Friday that the front of one of my 3 month old Buff Orp pullet's feet and legs were redder than usual. At the time it looked like she may of scraped them on something, it looked like an abrasion. I put an antibiotic cream (no caine) on her legs and kept an eye on her throughout the weekend. I've continued putting the antibiotic cream on her a couple times a day over the weekend, but her feet don't look like they are getting any better, actually worse, darker red and more irritated looking. She doesn't appear to be picking at them and other than the outward appearance of her legs, she's acting completely normal.

I have Vasoline on hand to treat for Scaley Leg Mites just in case, but it doesn't really seem to match up with any of the photos I have found online. The scales aren't raised, just red and inflamed and hot to the touch, like she has an infection of some sort. Everybody else in the coop is fine.

What do you guys think? (I had just put on more antibiotic cream before I took the photos, that's why her legs look greasy)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Are there any sores on the bottoms of her feet?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They look fine to me. Sometimes they will get reddish during points of high production due to the increase of hormones.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Nope, just the tops of her feet and front of her legs.

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:I had thought of that, could quite possibly be the case (hope so!). My concern was also how extremely hot to the touch they are, like really noticeably hot. Also could be an indication of increased hormone levels?

6. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

A chicken's body temperature normally runs about 102-103 degrees, so they will feel warm and feverish to us. Her legs look fine to me.
    But I bet she really likes the foot massages! [​IMG]

7. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Haha, thanks for putting my mind at ease guys. Seems like there are never ending concerns for a doting chicken mom! Now I can mark Penny's feet off my list, which is now a bizillion minus one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by