Red, irritated vent

MagnetChicks

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
We have a 3 week old chick who has pretty much stopped eating and has become slow & listless. She is shaky on her feet and we noticed today that it almost looks like she has hemorrhoids. Her poop looks normal and isn't runny or discolored.

Has anyone seen this before? If so, what are the common causes and how do we fix her up? Her 9 sisters all look fine and are growing like crazy - she is the only one who hasn't grown much since we got her and is now showing symptoms of being sick.

Thanks in advance for your help!

We're new at keeping chicks, in fact, ours are younger than yours, but I have my handy dandy Raising Chickens for Dummies here and the only thing I see about an irritated vent is Thrush. Not sure if it fits tho because it says increased appetite. Here's what it says...
"Moniliasis (Thrush):
Symptoms: White cheesy substance in crop; ruffled feathers; droopy looking; poor laying; white crusty vent area; inflamed vent area;increased appetite
How Contracted: Fungal disease; contracted through moldy feed and water and surfaces contaminated by infected birds. Often occurs after antibiotic treatment for other reasons
Treatment: yes. Ask a vet for Nystatin or other antifungal medication. Remove moldy feed and disinfect water containers."

Like I said, not sure if it fits, but it's all I could find. Hope it helps! Good luck!

Have you checked her for mites or lice? An infestation that is severe enough could probably cause anemia in that young of a bird. Are there any other s/s? What are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom