Red itchy ear?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ewerbos, May 7, 2017.

1. ewerbos

ewerbos Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Gaithersburg, MD
    My husband and I are in the process of raising our first flock (6-7 wks okd, 8 birds: 6 pullets and two cockerels). We have noticed that several have red spots around their ears, and we noticed at least on of them itching their ears. We found some information online saying that it might be normal, but we aren't sure. What to folks here think?

Here is a photo of one of the chickens (light brahma, 6-7 wks old, we're pretty sure cockerel):

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks fairly normal to me. Chicks do seem to scratch - all that new feather grow can be itchy. If he continually is scratching at the ear, then have a look for any debris, mites/lice, etc., that could be inside the ear. You can apply a little coconut oil or A+D ointment if you feel you need to put something on it for irritation.

3. ewerbos

ewerbos Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I forgot to reply to this many moons ago... But the response was very encouraging, we were freaking out (for no reason obviously). A few days later, it became clear that the red was indeed some very handsome wattles.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear all is well:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by