RED JUNGLE FOWL TO KEEP OR NOT

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by RedJungleFowl, Dec 2, 2012.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    This is to all you guys/girls out there who raised jungle fowl can they be let fee range or not and will they fly away or stay if you raise them from a chicks and if you clip there wing is it still hard to catch them please answer thanks you [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Jungle fowl are really wild and flighty. They are not easy to catch but can be very colorful and be free ranged with chicken food supplements as in they need real chicken food and a good pasture to free ranged. They also need to know where their home is so for 6-8 weeks they must be kept in your coop with run and not be let out. Then they will know where to come at night. They are also very noisy.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    RedJungleFowl,

If interested, then contact Cackle Hatchery. Their line of red jungle fowl will meet your needs and require no special care to ensure they stay. As for the flightiness, some of that is due to genetics but more than most folks realize is due to husbandry technique. During brooder phase of rearing, hand feed them with insects making sure they come to you for eats. Make them fly to you by time they are 14 days old. I setup so they would fly first to upper ledge of brooder, then short flights from there to your arm. Progression is rapid and they can be trained to recognize specific names which might prove usefull for your interest in observing flight.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Flightiness is also the result of being closer to wild fowl than most domestic breeds. They are more wary and alert for predators, as in fly first and ask questions later. Clipping the wings of free-ranging chickens leaves them much more vulnerable to predators.

5. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    but if i don't clip them then they will fly away and i don't like hatchery because there bird are not good

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Its okay to not clip their wings, that way they can evade predators while free ranging.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Do you have the facilities to keep truely wild jungle fowl of any sort? If no, then a hatchery strain should suit your needs.

8. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    but like hatcery red jungle fowl there hackel featuere is not real red compary to people who owns them

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    how you come to know that

from people trying to sell you somethingm for very high price?

it gets down to this

do you have what it takes to keep pure red jungle fowl

you make no effort to answer

10. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    well geuss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by