1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Jungle Fowl, when can they be sexed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lauren1824, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    Can anyone who raises Red Jungle Fowl tell me at about what age they can usually be sexed? Only one Red Jungle Fowl chick hatched out, so I dont have any others to compare to. It is only 2 weeks old, I know that is too early. I do, however, notice that it's comb is already bigger than the Cream Legbar chick's comb ( which is a female.) Oh yea, and I sont know what strain it comes from, or if from a hatchery, since I got the eggs from a girl my boyfriend works with.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Male I bet. You won't be seeing a crest of any significance on almost any breeds in the females at only 2 weeks old, almost as a golden rule. There's exceptions to pretty much every rule but this one is just about universal.

Best wishes.

3. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    Those were my thoughts also. Thank you.

4. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The males with black breasted red color pattern will often start showing dark breast feathers by four weeks. Females do not do this in this color pattern. The early comb growth is probably an indication of male anyway as previously mentioned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by