Red jungle fowl

CherryBaby

Hatching
May 19, 2019
Any ideas on sexing red jungle fowl? I just got two last week. Wondering what traits to look for to sex them. Can’t find much online.

Attachments

• 0B4F7678-9F77-4E90-B85A-1FA291760035.jpeg
    0B4F7678-9F77-4E90-B85A-1FA291760035.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 111
Aww, what unique markings!
I don't know about the particular breed, but most breeds won't show sex evidence until later on. Someone else will likely be able to tell you more. I just thought they were adorable :)

Thanks everyone. I realize it’s too early yet. Was just wondering about what I should start looking for.

Some people do claim sexual dimorphism at hatch. In that case: bold dorsal stripes, dark eye stripes and a wide head stripe.
If this method is correct, they'd both be females, but I've only ever tested it on Welsummers.

What the breast area. Males should start feathering in black or with a lot of black.
Females should feather in a salmon or reddish.
Should know by a month old.
Repost pics if you would I know how their pattern works but never seen RJF grow up.

I received 7 red jungle fowl from ideal poultry quite by accident. They were supposed to send Saipan jungle fowl but obviously the individual boxing the birds was engrossed in her social media account and only saw “ jungle” on the order form sending these birds instead. Nonetheless, I’m really enjoying them. They are by far the friendliest and most easily handled young birds I’ve had in a long time. They are extremely active foragers. Anyway, as far as sexing, I’ve noticed the little roosters in this group are definitely slow feathering...behind the hens by at least 50% or more. Distinct comb differentiation started about week 3-4. I’m very happy with them.

Its probably too late to matter as Im sure you know the sex of your chicks. I found this on the Internet:
DORSAL STRIPES AND EYELINES

Chicks with dorsal stripes can be sexed, often with nearly 100% accuracy. The downy coat is similar to that of red junglefowl chicks, so the pattern is sometimes called "wild striping" or "wildtype." There are several things to look for to determine the chick's sex. A pullet will have refined,well defined markings while the cockeral's coloring will be more fuzzy and blurry. You can start with the dorsal stripes (stripes along the back). A male's stripes will be lighter, less well defined, and fade out before reaching the head. A female's dorsal stripes will be darker, often defined with a outline, and will extend much further onto the head. Check the head for two clues. If the chick has a long, dark eyeline extending towards the ear, the chick is almost certainly a female. A male may have an eyeline, but it will be short, light and blurry. In addition, look at a triangle on the top of the head. The triangle on a female will be dark, have a sharp contrast, and may be outlined by an almost black outline. A male's triangle will be lighter and a bit indistinct.

Can you share your results so we can see how well this information matches what you found in your group of chicks?

Back
Top Bottom