1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Jungle Fowl

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Huskerville, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Huskerville

Huskerville Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Harrah
    Hello I am bran new to the forum site. My wife and I are new to the chicken world and were given some red jungle fowl. We would like to breed and sell them providing they are good standards for the breed. Our question is how much do these birds normally go for? Also when do they start laying eggs? Our jungle fowl are 5 months old. Thank you

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum and welcome to the chicken experience. If you did a search on this site, you may have found figuring out how well a Red Jungle Fowl conforms to a breed standard can be a little complicated. Here is one thread that discussed that issue: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514282

They
    might start laying pretty soon, but it is possible the shorter days of fall and winter will delay the start of laying until spring.

If you do a search on Red Jungle Fowl on this site you will probably come across some posts from people who actually breed them and you may want to PM (private message) some of them to find out more about pricing.

I have some chickens that have some mix of Red Jungle Fowl in their ancestry. I don't breed them to sell, but they are great - very beautiful and independent.

3. Huskerville

Huskerville Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2011
    Harrah
    Thank you. I'll search right now. They are very nice birds. I wish they would come when we called or would let us pick them up, but its all good.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you find what treats they like, they may at least learn to come when called. We had one Jungle Fowl Mix who we raised from hatch, and later was nursed to health after she was attacked by a hawk. She was the only one who would really let us pick her up, and she would fly to my shoulder for treats (bits of wheat bread).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by