Red just scared the daylights outta me!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by laughingllama75, Jan 6, 2009.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ok, I have 3 favorite hens, out of my flock of 35 +/-
    One is a rhode island red bantam, named Red.....well, she had gotten attacked by rats, leaving her with no toes on one foot, several years ago. She (and my other fave hen Goldie) had to live insode for about 6 months, while they were on meds and healed. So, as you can tell she is super friendly. Ok, now getting to the freaking me out part........
    I went out to feed tonight, and did a head count. In the winter, all my birds are allowed to free range (LOL, they just stay in the barn mostly) and I did not fnd Red. Looked everywhere, even in the rafters of the barn, all the while knowing she cant roost because of her foot. My 15 year old nephew came to help, we looked for an hour. outside, inside, no tracks of any sort anywhere. I was more afraid she was stuck somewhere than if a predator got her, at least it would have been quick. [​IMG] I didn't want her to freeze to death outside if she went out. So anyway.......FINALLY I had the good sense to look in the empty grain bags that I have stacked up for recycling. Ah HAH! she was in an empy bag! Yay! I found her, and she was so happy she cood to me all the way to the coop. She is now tucked in on her hay bale, with her blankie. Yes, her blankie. Did I mention she was spoiled? here are a few pics of her. [​IMG]
    back when she was younger
    [​IMG]
    taken this summer, about 5 years after the first pic. She is about 8 years old, I think.
    [​IMG]

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Aww she's very cute! Glad you found her!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How sweet! Glad she was okay. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Lol, what a little Red devil! I once put a paper bag of fish heads outside, rolled up tightly, after a good day fishing. The next morning, there were 2 cats sleeping in the bag! Neither cat was one of mine. [​IMG]

Glad you found her, it's a real panicky feeling!

5. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Thanks guys, I was so happy to have found her. She is known for going on adventures, one day she went missing and we found her up at the post office. We think she hitched a ride on my truck bumper, as we found her perched on it a few days later. The man form the post office called and asked if I lost any of my chickens, LOL. Glad we live in a small town, and the Postmaster knows I have chickens 'cuz I get hatching eggs and chicks in the mail. he has my number on speed dial by now. LOL.

6. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I'm so glad you found her! [​IMG] Sneaky little thing [​IMG]

7. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    I was feeing so bad.........like I said, I just didn't want her to freeze to death somewhere, if she was outside. If an animal got her, so be it-but the not knowing was killing me. And she is little enough that I didnt think to look in the bags right off, because they were all flat. Glad I checked though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by