Red Laced Blue Bantam Cochin rooster? New PIX added showing lacing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Dec 2, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have the strangest little guy. He supposedly came out of a black mottled pair. Our guess is that one of the blacks is actually a dark blue. I have a blue mottled girl from this same cross and she is very correctly blue mottled.

This little guy is NOT.

This picture is a bit old.....I will have to get new pix this evening. However, he has what looks like red lacing on his blue feathers??? Very strange. Not very defined, and not on all feathers. Here is a poor, older picture of him. You can see where he looks a bit brownish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll take new pictures this evening where you can actually see the feathering. However, what would cause this? I have blue roosters (unrelated) with red leakage, but it is concentrated on the neck or hackle feathers, and not all over. This guy has it more on his chest than anything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Here are some pix.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, red lacing is actually genetically impossible (though you can imitate it with certain crossings) however that bird doesn't look like a red laced blue. It looks like it has some mossiness on it, though.

The coloring on most of his body says he is a duckwing based Cochin, and probably just with some mossiness (a lot of duckwings and duckwing crossings can have a lot of "smut" coloring on their chest or back; it is basically smudgy color that is where it does not belong)

True lacing would be definite, and would show up throughout the bird's body. [​IMG]

What other than mottling is behind him?

4. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, this bird gets weirder and weirder looking. I think somebody may have jumped a fence there! LOL. Both the coloring and quality (or rather, lack thereof) are bizarre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this picture just to give a better idea of where the markings are

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by