Red Laced Blue Wyandotte?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by adubsroit, Nov 24, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    My birds are still pretty young, about 7 weeks now, and though still in their fugly phase there is one in particular who looks much different. For a while it seemed that the bird had no lacing on it, making it look almost totally red with blue on the tail, neck and head. The boyfriend and I were out with the birds and the wyandottes, they were inspecting us, when I realized red lacing?! [​IMG]

I understand the bird is still young (pics from 5-6 weeks old) (and a suspected cockerel), we are almost positive that this bird has red lacing. I assume this may be part of the fugly phase, but none of the other 7 are this bad. I assume this could just be bad genes, iono.

Look close, don't you see the slightest and smokiest red lacing around the feathers on the back, best seen in the third photo in the lower right hand corner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the siblings with exceptional, IMO, lacing [for being young and molting]:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI,
    I am by no means an expert with this breed..........
    but do want to comment that two of my siver laced were looked really bad until they were or 5 months old............beautiful now.
    In fact for awhile, I thought the breeder ripped me off............
    It may change quite a bit as it matures.........
    I am sure you will get other input ...[​IMG]

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Maybe a Splash Laced Red?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry, but it just looks like a poorly laced BLRW.

5. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Quote:No need to "sorry," lol. I'm new to the variety but have read enough to know this one was "faulty." Already made arrangements to cull this one from the breeding flock and all other non-breeding female. If it's a pullet it will be relocated to a friends flock who is needing new birds - her flock of egg layers was a gift, but they were ALL OLD.

The bird with good lacing does look like it's headed int he right direction, correct? I am fully aware of the ugly phases, but some birds are in ways already superior to their sibs [​IMG]

Excess males, lol, not such a bright future.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I dont have experience with them this particular variety as young birds, but IMHO I dont see any with "good" lacing. They all seem to have uneven faulty places where pretty much each feather should look the same on a bird with " good" lacing.

But the lacing that is present is blue lacing, not red.

Did you get these from a hatchery ?

7. adubsroit

Apr 9, 2010
    Quote:Nope, not hatchery. Birds are from Chicken Scratch Hatchery, I have the link somewhere in my Bookmarks but that's a whole hassle in itself to go through. As good "lacing," I am full aware that there is a lot to be begged for. My comment that one bird in particular was exceptional was more in terms of "in comparison to the other 7." These birds are young, so if they're lacing looks good in comparison to others its more my trying to start a base. At this rate.. I'd be luck for a pair.

Honestly though, look at the back of the neck.. That's blue in the middle of the feather.
    [​IMG]

Hoping to add some better quality birds in the spring.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:So they're not hatchery birds but they came from Chicken Scratch Hatchery ???????? Please explain

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:So they're not hatchery birds but they came from Chicken Scratch Hatchery ???????? Please explain

Its Chicken Scratch Poultry.
    http://www.chickenscratchpoultry.com/

There the site that spells Wheaten Ameraucana - [Wheaton Ameraucana] -

chris

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I went and looked at their website.....their BLRWs are very poor quality. Poor coloring and body type. Did you ask them where they got their parent stock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by