1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Laced Blue Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IloveTravis, Aug 11, 2008.

1. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    I have a question. I have a wyandotte who's blue with red lacing.
    Is this rare? And what exactly do I call it? Just a blue laced red wyandotte? Or is there even such a thing?
    He is beautiful nonetheless. But every time I call him a red laced blue wyandotte, I feel stupid, like I'm calling him the wrong thing. I'm not an expert on breeds.
    Help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The picture didn't seem to come up, try it again [​IMG]

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    they arent "rare"

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Its a blue laced red wyandotte. No its not rare, but the blue color is addictive. I have one. His name is Perkins...
    [​IMG]

He's a sweetie!
    ~Rebecca

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
  6. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    If its a RED laced BLUE that would be interesting since most I have seen are the BLUE laced RED.

Post a pic, IloveTravis, so we can see it.

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    yeah blrw isn't rare, but so beautiful. Is yours really rlbw?

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    BLRW aren't rare in the strictest sense, but compared to many other breeds, you don't see a whole lot of them. They aren't easy to come by.

If you have a Wyandotte that is blue with red lacing, then what you probably have is a blue gold birchen. Is the body mostly blue with just lacing on the head and neck areas? Here's a photo of a normal colored gold birchen:

[​IMG]

I have a silver birchen roo that is completely laced, so I would believe you if you say the whole bird is laced.

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Stacy, Perkins (the rooster pictured) is from you! I hatched him and could not keep him so Rebecca has him now. [​IMG]

10. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Blue laced red wyandottes are on eggbid.com all the time, and go for quite a good price. I have never heard of a red laced blue you might be on to somthing. Where did you get him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by