Red laced blue Wyndottes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickensoftherainbow, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Chickensoftherainbow

Chickensoftherainbow Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    I have two rlb wyndottes and was wondering if anyone could help with sexing them. I'm including a few pictures of the two. I have better pictures of one than the other. The dark solid blue is a maran, that is also unsexed.

Also, black chick. Breed is unknown. Chick came in from hatchery with two small bald spots on its back. The chick is growing but feathers are few and far between. Has anyone ever encountered this before?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. hmarg06

hmarg06 Songster

Nov 8, 2016
    Minnesota
    Typically if they have red shoulder patches like that they are cockerels. I'm guessing they are both cockerels. No idea on the other one, sorry.

Chickensoftherainbow likes this.
  3. Chickensoftherainbow

Apr 4, 2018
    Ahhh! I am hoping for at least one of them to be a hen The black chick seems to be stumping a lot of people.

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I think you have blue laced red wyandottes, funny because I make this mistake all the time with them :gigUnsure about the sex but the middle one in the second picture has a nice pink wattle which may be an indication of a cockerel but, again not sure. How old?

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  5. Chickensoftherainbow

Apr 4, 2018
    I'm going off of what the hatchery had them labeled as :hmm, and they are 6 weeks old today.

6. Chickensoftherainbow

Apr 4, 2018

Do you know if the roos wing feathers come in mostly the same length or off set? Or does wing feathers not matter with this breed?

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

I agree, it appears both Wyandottes are cockerels. Red shoulder patches are never a good sign if you're hoping for pullets. :)
    How old are they? I'm thinking pullet on the Marans at this point, my 6-week-old girls of the same breed are comparable in development.
    I've raised a few balding chicks, and they always turn out just as beautifully feathered as the rest after maturity. ;) Just give it time to catch up. :D

~Alex

Chickensoftherainbow likes this.
  8. Chickensoftherainbow

Apr 4, 2018

Dern! Well, at least my Maran is hopefully female. I was thinking it was as well! The black chick seems strong, I'm hopeful for it!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  9. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    See the pale grey 'blue' edge to the 'red' feather, that's the lacing. Considered blue laced as far as I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: