Red laced wyandotte not growing

Chicklove4ever

Songster
May 17, 2020
Hi i have a blue laced red wyandotte bantam named Pretty bird.I got her when she was a week old now she is about 7 weeks old and has not grown at all since i got her she eats poops scratches like all the rest but is not growing 😪 She is not the only bantam i have three silkie bantams that are the same age and they are even bigger than her now. My buff orpington chicks who are 6 weeks old now are 5 times her size.I feed them medicated chick starter i put chicken elixir with vitamins and electrolytes in their water and give them hard boild eggs with grinded shells for calcium,grit,kale, broccoli,oatmeal and mealworms.I hope she will be okay.My hubby is worried because shes his little baby😔.

Attachments

• 20200525_155721.jpg
    20200525_155721.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200525_155736.jpg
    20200525_155736.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200525_155709.jpg
    20200525_155709.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 5
Sorry about your failure to thrive chick. Have you thought about treating for possible coccidiosis with Corid? You could also take a few of her droppings in to the vet for a fecal test, but Corid is very safe to use. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is safe for all chicks to drink.

Baby chicks do not need ground egg shells or extra calcium, oats, kale or broccoli. For 90% of their diet, they need chick starter grower. To much calcium before they start laying eggs may cause kidney damage or gouty arthritis. They only require 1% calcium which is in their chick feed. They can have an occasional treat, but too much kale or even meal worms can be bad for them. Cooked egg can be good for them, but in small portions.

Also chickens should not receive electrolytes for more than a few days, or it can cause diarrhea, and the taste may make them not want to drink enough. You can give vitamins to her to give a boost, and human super B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily crushed or dissolved in a little water can be given orally or in food. Hopefully, she will start to grow.

Sorry about your failure to thrive chick. Have you thought about treating for possible coccidiosis with Corid? You could also take a few of her droppings in to the vet for a fecal test, but Corid is very safe to use. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is safe for all chicks to drink.

Baby chicks do not need ground egg shells or extra calcium, oats, kale or broccoli. For 90% of their diet, they need chick starter grower. To much calcium before they start laying eggs may cause kidney damage or gouty arthritis. They only require 1% calcium which is in their chick feed. They can have an occasional treat, but too much kale or even meal worms can be bad for them. Cooked egg can be good for them, but in small portions.
) eats plays and acts like all the other chicks do🙂 Shes a bantam but just soo tiny like shes a dwarf bantam or somthing.Her droppings ar normal none of my chicks have diarrhea they have been drinking chick elixir since they were born,even by the chicken lady i got them from it really good for them with vitamins and probiotics and really recommended by chicken breeders😊They love the taste when i change their water they line up for it.I was just hoping to know if someone else has a chick like this and if its a deformity or something.😔or slow grower and if she will be okay

Also chickens should not receive electrolytes for more than a few days, or it can cause diarrhea, and the taste may make them not want to drink enough. You can give vitamins to her to give a boost, and human super B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily crushed or dissolved in a little water can be given orally or in food. Hopefully, she will start to grow.

Thank you for your response🙂I donT think shes failing to thrive.She eats plays and acts like all the other chicks do🙂 Shes a bantam but just soo tiny like shes a dwarf bantam or somthing.Her droppings ar normal none of my chicks have diarrhea they have been drinking chick elixir since they were hatched,even by the chicken lady i got them from it really good for them with vitamins and probiotics and really recommended by chicken breeders😊They love the taste when i change their water they line up for it.I was just hoping to know if someone else has a chick like this and if its a deformity or something.😔or slow grower and if she will be okay?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-210719_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-210719_Chrome.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200525-210753_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-210753_Chrome.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here is some pics i took on April 19 2020 she is 5 days old

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-223146_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-223146_Photos.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200525-223248_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-223248_Photos.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 1
And here are some pics of her today May 25 2020 shes with same chicks as the picture above

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200525-223349_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-223349_Photos.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200525-223321_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200525-223321_Photos.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom