Red LED-christmas lights for quail?

Dan Ullerup

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
I have read that quails (button and coturnix) need at least 9 and 8 hours of light at winter.
So here in Denmark during winter, it would be good for them to provide artificiel lighting.

...and it should be either red LED or fluorescent light.

I was therefor wondering, if I just could use christmas decoration lights like this... as long it is red and LED:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=led+...vZ_XAhULApoKHQifCO4Q_AUICigB&biw=1163&bih=559

I have read of people doing this. I was going to have a heat bulb on a timer.. probably just use what natural light I have, let them take it easy over the winter. That said, I do have a string of LEDS that I was contemplating using as well.. especially for those 4 hr sunlight days.

Thanks for your answers.

But do you think I could use white christmas Led-lights instead? - because there seem to be some disagreement wether it matters if it is red or white.

The only disagreement is about the colours themselves. Most animals I have kept have not reacted to red light, in my reptile room, for example, I use red bulbs, as I can see all the animals without them being able to see me, and get distressed/excited. The quail seem to be the same.
White light, obviously, does activate the oul optics, and so if it was white light on 24/7.. well it would be a bit mind destroying (see those crazy Arctic folk as an example:tongue).
I use white inside my shed during the day when it is too dark, and then switch to red in the evening. The bonus being that my red is also a heat bulb, so keeps the inside nice and warm.

Thanks again.

The lighting would not be for laying, but just for making them happy (socializing, eating, development) :)

Back
Top Bottom