Red Leg hybrid ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by flymamma, Sep 2, 2009.

1. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I have 2 chicks that are almost ready to lay 22 wks now . I have been unsuccesfull in finding much info on this breed . I was told it would lay ivory/cream colored eggs ... one of my hens has yellow legs and the other has grey/green legs .The bodies are both very white except for their chests have some rust colored outlined feathers one them and one of the gals has a handfull of dime sized black spots on her back and wings . They are sweet birds . I was just hoping to understand if it is a hybrid, is that the same as or similar to a sex link [a deliberate cross breed ] , and if so what kind of hen and roo makes a red leg hybrid ?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    There's something about this question I don't understand. Where does the red leg hybrid come in?

3. flymamma

Jul 10, 2009
    Sorry . That is the breed . Red Leg ...

Here is the info I have found .. from central hatchery website .
    Red Leg

A white chicken with a few black spots and some red color. A good sized bird laying cream colored eggs. An old rugged dependable crossbreed. Tame and exceptionally hardy.

If it is a dependable crossbreed , what is it crossed with ?

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Rhode Island Red/White Leghorn/Barred Rock? No idea.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The info on Central Hatcheries site is about a Sil-Go, or Silver Gold mix. That's a basic red sex link. In this cross a red colored male is mated to a silver gened female.

The female chicks from the cross are mostly red with just a little white around the neck and tail.

The males are colored as you described yours: white with some black and red accents.

Neither should have grey or green eggs and the female¬ís lay brown, not cream eggs so I'm not sure what you have. [​IMG]

The parent breeds from these big hatcheries are sometimes purebred, for instance Rhode Island Red males may be used, but other times they are a sort of custom breed that has the genetic characteristics needed to make highly productive chicks. So you can't really say what exactly is used to make a particular mix.

The best way to find out what breed your chickens are is to post a picture. Makes it much easier to tell. [​IMG]

6. flymamma

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I will try to get a picture of them in the morning .. they are females . I have raised then from chicks and they are just now, at 22wks getting their waddle and comb , and they are doing the egg squat . And 1 of them has yellow legs and the other has the slate ish green legs ... they are mutants I guess [​IMG]

7. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    hey! VE, You found it! they sound like good birds. Now we need a pic. [​IMG]

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They way I read it, the red legs are a strain that was crossbred back when, and are a maintained line of crossbreeds, not chicks bred from crossing two different breeds of parent stock.

10. flymamma

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:If you click in the link VE posted there is a pic , mine look EXACTLY like the pic . My gals just have a smaller waddle and comb , since they are younger .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by