Red legged Partridge

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by adriano, Dec 21, 2009.

1. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Hi

I am thinking of getting some red legged partridge and was wondering the following.

Are they best kept in pairs or trios or whats the best ratio.
    Also should they be kept on wire floors or natural ground.
    Do they roost on perches or prefer to stay on ground.
    What size avairy do they require.
    And can they be housed with pheasants.

Thanks

2. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Anyone keep these ?

3. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:*This information is not by personal experience, but from read documentation*
    They can be kept either in pairs or trios.
    The floor depends on your objectives, if you want your partridge to be comercial breeder to give profit, put pairs in small breeder cages with wire floor. If you want them to breed but with a recreational side make them a big pen and put a trio, in natural ground and with cover they will brood and hatch the chicks. If you just want wild birds to release just make a big flying aviary, brood the chicks inside and about 4-5 weeks of age you can put them outside.
    They are ground birds although they flush very powerfully and can fly for high.
    Any size, from small cages to big aviaries are used with sucess, it depends on the objective.
    They can be housed with pheasants if the aviary is large enough and if give cover to hide when needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by