Red legs on Wyandotte rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azygous, Dec 15, 2009.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is my maiden post on BYC and I have an urgent concern about Stan my six month old Wyandotte rooster.

Recently we had some below zero temps here in the Colorado Rockies where I live. Stan usually prefers to hang out in his compartment in the coop which is kept above freezing, (he's segregated because he annoys the nine hens, and they overly excite him - story for another post on another forum.) But he does like to get out and stretch his legs and patrol the perimeter. It was still in the teens last week when he was out, for however brief. After a couple days of being out in the bitter cold, I noticed his legs had begun to show large areas of bright red. Thinking it might be chafing from the cold, I put vaseline on them.

I wasn't able to make my temporary password work to post something at the time, so I scoured hundreds of past posts and came upon two about red legs. They both were of the opinion that the redness was inherent to the breed which was Barred Rock in one of the posts. Wyandottes being related to Barred Rocks, this could be something that Stan's legs are morphing into.

So my question is - have any of you had roosters (his sisters show no red changes to their legs) with red legs? Sorry, no picture, haven't been able to figure that out yet.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My roos ( my wyandottes included) generally get reddish legs at about that age.....they're hitting sexual maturity and the red legs seem to go along with it.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. I've always attributed the redness in my roo's legs to hormones raging and boy, do they rage. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    the wyandotte bantam roosters have the worst hormones!!!!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thanks so much for the responses! You've certainly eased my mind! Even though Stan is a horny little twerp, he means the world to me!

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

thanks for joining us.

there is a wealth of knowledge here......
    and many nice people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by