1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red light, green light................freeze!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by debs_flock, Oct 16, 2011.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You might have to be a bit older to remember the game, but I swear my "kids" were playing today.

I was sitting with them this morning with a cup of coffee like I normally do. I bring out the kitchen scraps from the night before (a bunch of grapes this time) and pass out the treats. We have red-tail hawks nest every year in the trees at the back of our property. This morning the parents and their latest fledglings were circling and calling repeatedly. They were very vocal and nearly overhead.

With each call, our entire flock would freeze and stare in unison, trying to identify the source of the hawks. The two boys would stand tall trying to look menacing. I don't believe they realized they are safe and sound with joists, plywood and a full roof over their run.

They looked like a bunch of kids on the playground playing red light, green light!

Deb

Yesterday morning it was a large flock of geese overhead............far less menacing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That's hilarious! [​IMG]

3. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I love that game, and thanks for the reminder..I've used that game to teach my children to stop dead when I say stop!

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Used to me one of my favorite games.
    When the light is green, those chickens
    can run fast! My play with any bird(s)
    that fly over. And their run is covered too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by