Red light on little giant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maybejoey, Aug 11, 2011.

1. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

What does it mean if the red light is off on the little giant. I have it plugged in.[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It should be on when its heating an off when the thermostat kicks the heat off.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Adding, I have the styrafoam one. And it doesnt have a thermometer except just the plain old one that tells me the temp. It only happens when i turn the dial to the left.[​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's because you are turning the thermostat down.

Read the directions carefully. Also, LGs take a lot of time to stabilize- don't keep fiddling with it. Give it at least 12 hours after every adjustment.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had several successful hatches in mine. I also turn it on the day before I set my eggs to let the incubator stabilize. I found when adjusting the temperature you have to be very careful and barely turn the temp control just a slight whisker then walk away for awhile and let it stabilize. I think most people adjust and adjust some more, but you have to walk away. The thermostat is super sensitive.The temp will fluctuate while the eggs are adjusting to the incubator temperature. Resist temptation to adjust the temp. After a few hours if you need to adjust it then do it but BARELY increase or decrease. The slightest movement of the thermostat can make a BIG difference in the temp. You can also adjust your temp and humidity to some extent by removing one or both of the plugs. I would fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator too when you turn it on to let it stabilize. It takes hours for the eggs internal temp to come up. Just my opinion.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THe light goes on and off with the heat on and off.

I just finished my first hatching with an LG; I suggest putting a dimmer knob on the temperature knob. I also put in jars of water, well sealed, as heat sinks which slowed heat increases and decreases. People have complained about spikes. IMO, the heat sinks helped--I didn't have spiking UNLESS I turned the knob the wrong way! Air temp jumped to 108, I noticed within 3 hours and I believe the heat sinks saved the hatch. Check often after alteration. AND keep a notebook--I found the VERY helpful.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by