1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

red lighting gel to cover light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by horstuff, Nov 20, 2013.

1. horstuff

horstuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    I have a small, low heat self-contained worklight style fluorescent light in my 3 hen coop. I have heard that it's best to use red light, so i bought a red lighting gel (the kind used in stage and theater productions) to cover the light.

I asked the manufacturer this, but they didn't know... will it be safe as far as any noxious fumes the gel might give off? They said they hadn't tested for that, and nobody ever asked them before. The light is very low heat, only about 8 inches long with one of those plug-in type fluorescent bulbs inside.

I figure somebody out there has done this before... hopefully. Thanks in advance.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is the purpose of the light?

3. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

If you find out let me know, I also used the red light 240w, but the only reason was for the heat and the color red was just to spare the eyes of the chicks, as for the normal globe is heavy on their eyes, only my input, will like to learn otherwise

4. horstuff

horstuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    The purpose of the light is to continue laying productivity going in the winter... I heard that they need a small amount of light in the coop if they are to continue laying in winter. Is that not true?

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The purpose of the light is to keep them eating. They don't eat as much with reduced daylight hours and they need the energy to keep laying. They don't need heat. Put a low watt bulb on a timer to keep your "daylight" at 12-14 hours.

The red light is keep them from feather picking. More important with chicks that peck at anything than mature hens.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They need white light for laying, acts on their pineal gland sparking the pituitary gland to release hormones to produce eggs.
    At least 14 hours, best started early in the morning. Good article on supplemental light.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I wouldn't use the color just because there is no benefit and, as stated, not sure if it will release fumes. I've also been told to avoid fluorescent bulbs in the coop because chickens can see them flicker. To them, it looks like a strobe light looks to us. I have a regular 40W bulb on a timer and it's plenty to keep them laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by