Red Lights vs. Regular Lights....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have heard that red lights are better because they help stop the chicks from pecking each other or something.[​IMG] If this is true, why would a red light be any different than a regular light? And can you use a blue or green light and have a better effect?

Sorry for all the questions...I am still new to this![​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They dont' see very well with the red light and it also negates the way that anything red or pink stands out under white light.

So, if they are picking on someones pink toes, they don't look so different from the background under red light

3. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    That does make sense. [​IMG] I suppose blue or green lights wouldn't work like that too, right?

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I have always used regular lights and never had picking. Crowding is often the cause of picking. I have found lower watt red bulbs in the stores lately and I will probably try them out. The infrared heat lamps are to hot for a small brooder inside I have found. I like the idea of red because it allows a more natural light dark cycle and I feel that is a good thing.

5. Kitsune

Kitsune Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Red is definitely better for getting a good light/dark cycle - chicks can sleep well under a red light, not so well under blue/green or white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by