1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

red line

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by julieleonard, Feb 21, 2013.

1. julieleonard

julieleonard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    I candled my 13 eggs .. this is the 11 day yesterday i had all 13 squirming around today i candled i only have 6 left that are still moving and have good veins. what causes them to turn into a red line?
    [​IMG]

2. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    From reading so many threads, I think it could be a number of things, most likely some genetic issue, though. I'm sorry. Maybe if you give them a few more days and candle them again, they'll surprise you. [​IMG]

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    The red line is called a blood ring. It forms when chicks die, so those with a line around them are finished. It might help if you would NOT candle so much. If you did it yesterday, why did you do it again today? Handling can damage chicks too, especially early in the incubation process. Hatching is about patience, no matter how much we want to see whats going, sometimes we can do more damage than good. I'm not saying you hurt them, it could well have been something else. Candle on day 7, day 14 & day 18 (the day you put them into lockdown} You don't need to see them "wiggle". You candle just to make sure they are fertile & growing.

4. chickengirl2013

chickengirl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    What does the red line look like?

5. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Quote:
    Quote: Now I'm confused [​IMG] Didn't you post the first quote? Well, I answered that & now you ask "what does it look like"? It looks like what you said was in the eggs. It is a line around the top of the yolk , it generally goes completely around the egg, on the inside, of corse[​IMG]

6. julieleonard

julieleonard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Brooksville Florida
    no i didnt writet that somebody else did

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by