Red lump/sore/abyss on toe of foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dyllos, Dec 28, 2014.

1. dyllos

dyllos New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    Hi

This girl has had this lump/abyss on her foot/toe for quite a while now. Hasn't got bigger or smaller. Doesn't seem to cause discomfort, but she does walk around quite slowly (in fact she seems quite 'slow' in general - in case that is something else to remedy). She can move quickly at times if she wants to.

The only foot problem that keeps coming up if I google is the bumblefoot. I don't think this is what it is as there is no black mark/scab. Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

Is it an abyss from a time she may have hurt it? or something else?

Should I treat as for bumblefoot i.e. soak in epsom salts and later squeeze it?

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. tandykins

tandykins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    That looks like an early bumblefoot infection to me. I wouldn't squeeze it as there's no scab and thus nowhere for the pus to come out. If it were me (and I'm quite a beginner), I'd soak it in epsom salts and spray it/coat it with an antiseptic. If you have an antiseptic/antibiotic spray or ointment, I'd dab that on the wound. I'm actually just about to treat one of my own hens for a (much more typical looking) case of bumblefoot. XD

At the stage your chook looks like her foot is in I'd tend to go with the keep-it-clean, wait-and-see approach.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. dyllos

dyllos New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks tandykins - anyone else agree/disagree about the prognosis?

Thanks

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Soaking her foot daily in epsom salts and putting a bit of antibiotic cream on certainly won't do her any harm. I tend to do it at roosting time, putting the bird straight back onto the perch, so that she doesn't walk around on the floor and get grit and stuff stuck to her foot.

You may as well try it for a couple of weeks, and see if there is any change in the lump.

5. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    Yup - and if your chicken is just a dirty-footed-bird like some of mine who refuse to stay away from the filthiest parts of my yard - 1/4" gauze and a little VetWrap will keep the toe clean and dry but make sure that you change it daily.

6. dyllos

dyllos New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    alrighty, will try it, thanks for replying :)

7. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    How's it going? Improvement? Worsening?

8. dyllos

dyllos New Egg

Dec 28, 2014
    Have been soaking it for past 4 days and will keep at it.. too early to tell yet.

9. tandykins

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    Great! Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by