Red Maybe Bloody Poop?- PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coffeemama, Jan 18, 2009.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    So I went out to the henhouse this morning and found this poo on the roost poo pile. I smeared it a bit with a stick (after photo) and it is not fluid like blood but rather coagulated and clumpy. I know blood in poo is a sign of cocci but everyone seems fine. Should I treat everyone just in case? The youngest bird out there is 5 months old and the oldest 5+ years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would treat them A.S.A.P. It seems once cocci does hit, it takes the birds very quickly. I really don't know if that's what your birds have, but I wouldn't take any chances at this point.

Maybe someone else more experienced in this matter might be able to check in and give some better advice.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    What is the appropriate cocci treatment?

My BR has had poo like that on & off for a couple of months.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We had a pullet with cocci and her poops were bloody too.
    [​IMG]
    We took her to a vet and he prescribed a treatment... let me go find what it was... You have to treat the whole flock though and not eat the eggs. (BTW, our pullet is fine now.)

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suggest using Yogurt first. If no one is acting dumpy its to bad to treat with antibiotic. I read someplace here that dairy products treat cocci, I have never had the option to use it for my birds with cocci- the ones I've had look like a vulture before the begin to bleed. You would find a hen acting dumpy, standing in a corner.
    I would use caution, yogurt (some people I believe put powdered milk in with their treat foods.)
    Good luck to you, and if you find out which one has it, treat that one, I use sulmet yet it will cause "bleeding", or the appearence of.
    Basically, there is no right answer! Good luck!

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
  7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Thanks all-keep the info. coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by