Red means eggs?

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
I've been noticing that my Wyandottes look really red on their combs, wattles and around the eyes. Then, after a few minutes of perching on me, most of the red fades to a pinkish tan. What's with the color change? Will they start laying when the red doesn't fade anymore?

I would guess they're going to lay soon, do they squat when you pet their backs? That's a sure sign. I'm not sure about the color change.

Quote:
The colored face is a sure indication that they will lay soon. As for squatting, in my limited experience of 53 years, I can tell ya that more hens do not squat for humans than hens that do. A little trivia for ya, when they start to lay, you can tell the ones that are laying by feeling the pelvic bones under the vent. You don`t have to get your fingers dirty, the bones are UNDER the vent. Generally, the bones will spread on a laying pullet allowing 2-3 fingertips to be placed between the bones on a standard pullet. Varies with egg size. A non layer will have room for only one fingertip. Ain`t chickens fun?.........Pop

The color change you are noticing will continue after they begin laying. I've noticed mine go super bright red when they are too hot or excited.

Back
Top Bottom