1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Meat Maker???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Nov 1, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Has anybody raised the Red Meat Maker from Noll's.. I want a bird that my customers will be happy with.. That isn't as spendy as the Freedom Rangers.. I am looking to order another batch of meat birds this week.. Need advice on this one thanks... Oh and is so can you breed them and keep them for eggs like the freedom rangers??

2. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I have raised KK and liked them, I am going to try the Red meat maker this spring. Never kept any back to breed. If you look at the FR experiment it looks like a failure. Perhaps a FRXRM might work? [​IMG]

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If you want a bird you can use for meat and eggs, and breed more of, best to go with a good dual purpose heritage type like a Delaware or something. The ones you're discussing are hybrids and once bred, you can't be sure what the offspring will really be.

4. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    True which is why I only by the roosters at .60 cents each. You can't feed your Delawares out for the price I pay for these chicks and they will dress out at 5-6 lbs in 11 weeks not 18. When you look at it does not make economic sense to do other wise. And from a straight money sense the CX is even cheaper I just hate them.[​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Agreed, what you're doing is cheapest I think unless you go with the CX. I think the CX are funny as hell though. I call them all "meat loaf." So I guess my food has a name. But they all have the same name.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine all have the same name too.
    I took an egg bound pullet to a vet (only time/rare breed), they asked for the patients name and I said bar-b-que.
    When it was her turn the assistant opened the door and called out "Bar-b-que", I pick up the cage with the bird and walk in.
    Wonder what the other people thought.

Here is a good chart of heritage/rare breeds that's food for thought, it gives meat quality information and rate of growth.
    http://albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

7. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you sooo much for the link... I am really excited about breeding Delawares.. I have a good size BR roo to breed with my New Hampshires ... I can't wait to eventually have a sustainable flock. No more cx for me.. Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated..

8. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by