1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Mille Fleur Leghorns!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DrinkTheRainbow, Jan 23, 2011.

1. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Ok...so I tricked you into here but I wanted to ask if you BYCers had any Mottled Red Leghorns and Mile Fleur Leghorns.
    I'll take LF and/or Bantam I want them as close to or SQ cuz I read that you should start out with a good line and good
    stuff like that so yes yes yes...I'm not sure if this should go in here or not cuz they're a lot of things I'm gonna be asking.

Question 1: When breeding, a genetics calculator said to use a MRL Rooster and a MFL Hen. Why isn't it possible the other way?

Question 2: How would I breed them to get the "perfect" pattern and coloration?

Question 3: If I just get the LF's how would I down size them? Should I use a recessive White Leghorn? Would that work? *Stupid me that's more than one question for Q3. [​IMG]*

Thank You!
    Any other tips, post away!!! [​IMG]

Edit: I also want to try with Mottled Buff Leghorns (do they exist?) and Mille Fleur Leghorns. A Genetic Calculator said they would produce White Patterned Gold Mille Fleur and Black Patterned Gold Mille Fleur.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I can't answer your questions. Such a bird would be beautiful. It's not nice to trick the "broody magician."[​IMG]

3. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
  4. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Quote:I'm sorry your "broodiness"! I will never do it again. [​IMG]

5. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    I've raise various breeds in the Mille Fleur color since 1979..... including my Pyncheon Bantams.....When you say "Red Mottled".....do you mean a solid red bird with white mottling? Same with the buff mottles? The closest I have ever seen in Red Mottled was some Mottled Black tailed Red Leghorns....later used to make Mille Fleur Leghorns (Large Fowl). I don't know if you could get buff mottleds without having the white tail...I raise Golden neck Pyncheons as well...very similar to the Buff Mottled color....basically...buff mottleds with white tails..... Maybe there are some Golden Neck large fowl out there....(?) Hope this helps.....

6. seabass327

seabass327 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    CARRABELLE
  7. DrinkTheRainbow

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Thank you everyone!!! &&& I mean the buff with white "v's" or however they're supposed to look like and about the white tail, is it easy to breed it out? The Mille Fleur Leghorns look ok but would you be able to breed out the feather "leggedness" if you were to try getting a better color with booted?

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    DrinkTheRainbow: Did you ever find or breed any of these: Mottled Red Leghorns

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by