red mite and lice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by seasidechick, Jul 31, 2014.

1. can i buy sevin dust in england i just tried to buy on amazon and it won,t deliver it here ,my flock needs urgent de bugging please help with advice .i feed with garlic ,cider vinigar ,dust baths clean hoover jet wash coop ...

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. For those of you who don't live in the UK, I think that you'll find out that the active ingredient in Elector is pyrethrum.

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Pyrethrum is a daisy and spinosad /elector is a derivative of sugar cane.

5. i also need something for lice i think as well can anybody help me with suppliers for red mite and lice i have bought a new coup and want to prepare it before my flock go in it i am in the process of sealing all cracks and hiding places for mites

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Crowing

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If you don't have red mite I wouldn't worry too much about it . Elector is more of a surface spray but poultry production houses do spray the birds ( ensuring the vent area is not sprayed ).
    All poultry keepers need to have a good poultry dust on hand though.
    In researching the red mite I was alarmed to learn that they can contribute to the the spread of encephalitis , salmonella and pox. Keeping rodents and wild birds( sparrows ) out of your pens is essential .

7. MelissaZeno

MelissaZeno Chirping

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    I've been using poutry protector and diatomaceous earth, my chickens have red mites. How long will I need to treat them? I've done this for over a month now. Should I put the diatomaceous earth right on the birds more often?
    Thank you for your help.

8. appps

appps Crowing

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

I think you will find for every person that swears by diatomaceous earth there is another found it useless. If they have had them for a month and you are getting nowhere I'd try a different treatment. Lots of threads on here about treating, so I'd spend a little time searching mites then decide on plan b treatment before your birds start going downhill.

We used ivermectin on advise from our vet and they were gone in two days chickens were fine after. Lots of people will say not to use it though, you need to just read, read then make up your own mind which method you want to use. Hard with so much conflicting advise.

good luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  9. MelissaZeno

MelissaZeno Chirping

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    Thank you for your help. I will do more reading! Thanks.

10. MelissaZeno

MelissaZeno Chirping

May 28, 2013
    Vermont
    Where can you buy ivermectin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by