Red mite eggs coating feather shafts -need advice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by azygous, Jun 27, 2016.

1. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yuuuuk! This is a first for me! I'm sure it's occurred before, but I neglected to notice. Probably the reason I noticed my birds are infested now is because I can see the red mites now following recent cataract surgery.

I dusted the flock yesterday with a poultry dust containing pemethrin, and it made the bugs run for their lives. But now the chickens are left with a cement-like coating of red mite eggs on their feather shafts. How do I get rid of this crud? How long before the eggs hatch and will this "cement" slough off?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you could cut the feathers but only if it's really bad. wait a few days and dust again. you could also smother the eggs with some vasaline but just be aware that dirt will stick to the feathers

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    That sounds to me like lice eggs. Red mites don't reproduce on the chicken, they live and breed in cracks etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Lice. Hmmm. Makes sense. It may be why I've never been able to detect any of these varmints in the coop, even at night.

The base of the feathers are lined with obvious eggs, cemented to the feather shafts like hard cement. In trying to clean them off the feathers, the feather comes out.

But the color of lice has me perplexed. These bugs on my chickens are reddish, not tan.

I suppose all I can do is dust the flock each week for the next month and hope to rid them all finally of these pests, whatever they are.

5. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

are they northern fowl mites?

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I am pretty sure I'm seeing lice eggs on the feathers of my chickens, not mites. I hope it's not mites.

7. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

lice turn reddish brown after a blood meal.

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Folks I know swear by wood ash in their dust bath. The ash is supposed to smother the critters better than just regular dirt.

9. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I use clean wood ash mixed with DE.
    Been good for our flock.
    I had a bad case if lice and mites on some rescue hens-- tried everything but in the end, the only thing that got rid of the bugs was Ivermectin pour-on for cattle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by