Red mite help needed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tjs22, Nov 19, 2016.

1. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    I have what I believe are red mites living in the coop. They come out at night, I find them mostly in the nest boxes and on or around the roost. They swell up and turn red (after a feed I'm assuming).Can you get mites from hay? I had just put in fresh hay a week before I noticed any mites. I took out all the hay and really swept well. I then just lots of DE in nest boxes, floor, and roosting bars. I put in pine shavings incase mice or something got mites in the hay we have stored. I also have been using a spray that is recommended in FreshEggsDaily. Its water, oil, and dish detergent. It kills them on contact. I thought I was doing well, I even gave them dust baths in de and wood ash. But, the population appears to have increased.
    Has anyone sucessfully totally rid the coop of the monsters?! I have 17 birds and a large coop the is 8x8,x8, so I cannot presure wash it, it would never dry or drain. And temps are dropping this week to below freezing and snow is on its way. So looking for a dryer method.
    Can de totally eraddicate red mites if dusted in every crack and cranny? I know my methods didnt cover every nook and thats why it failed. Also, I find these bugs on me when I come in from the coop, I have felt on bite even. Can they infest my house and feed on people while they sleep?? I have been leaving my coat and boots outside. Someone help me please!!

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here you go. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
    Everything you need to know about these pests and their cousins and how to get rid of them for good.

The Elector PSP she recommends is very pricey. I bought some and am very happy I did. It is highly concentrated and one little bottle will last you for years. You can spray or dip your chickens and spray the coops and runs. Everyone who has tried this stuff reports they are gone for good, and the best thing is it's non- toxic and there's no egg withdrawal.

1 person likes this.
  3. zoelov

zoelov Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Wyoming
    I also discovered red mites in my chicken house and on my chickens. I realized we had a problem when I saw one on my arm and just about had a heart attack. I have studied this a lot and here is what I have learned. Red mites cannot live on humans or human houses. They feed on the feather dust and dead skin of chickens. They also live in coops as well as on chickens. It was suggested that I NEVER NEVER use DE around my hens because it is a respiratory hazard and can cause more harm than good. I have had chickens most of my life and never had mite problems. I now have only 8 hens but they probably got mites from the wild birds that are constantly landing in the coop to eat their food. I also did not have an adequate dust bath for them to use. I ordered $141.00 worth of the Elector premise spray and mixed 9 milliliters with 1 gallon of water. I cleaned all the straw out of the coop and run and sprayed the premise really well with the mixture. Then I took each hen and sprayed the vent area, under wings, and around neck with the same spray. I have to say it was worth every penny and the 8 oz bottle will last me for years. You might want to see if you have any neighbors that might want to share a container of the Elector. There is no egg withdrawal and it is non toxic. You don't have to wear gloves or masks when using it. I ordered mine from Valley Vet Supply and it was $14.00 cheaper than anyplace else I found and shipping is free. I also created a proper dust bath and my hens seem very healthy and happy now. If I could just stop the below freezing weather they would be in hog heaven, so to speak. Good luck and happy hens.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Permethrin spray is very effective, available at TSC and other farm stores, easy to use, and inexpensive. Spinosad works but is $$$$, don't bother ordering it. There's no advantage over the permethrin spray. Mary

1 person likes this.
  5. iTyrizzle

iTyrizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    Thank you for the feedback! I just discovered what I believe to be red mites today crawling on a few of the eggs sitting in nesting boxes. They are extremely tiny black specks that move. I will stop by TSC for the Permethrin.

6. iTyrizzle

iTyrizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    A R K A N S A S
    How does one use the permethrin spray? Spry the coop and chickens with it?

7. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I have the Gordon's spray concentrate from TSC, and follow the directions. It's 20 ml. per gallon of water for poultry. I bought a half gallon sprayer and share the stuff with a friend with a flock and coop, and we still haven't mixed another batch of spray! At night with a light, spray the birds lightly, and the roosts while they are on them, and the walls, etc, of the coop. No handling individual birds! No dust! It took us ten or fifteen minutes to do the 16' x 24' coop, and 48 birds. Love it! For red mites who live in the crannies, be thorough with the coop spraying. It has good residual there too. Mary

8. zoelov

zoelov Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Wyoming
    i think the non-toxic, no glove aspect of using the Elector SP spray is a BIG advantage over PERMETHRIN SPRAY

9. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    When used as directed, either product is pretty safe. Not for fish or crabs at all, but good to use. I wouldn't use spinosad without gloves or a protective mask either! Mary

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They feed on chicken blood.....
    .....that's why when you squish them they leave a red streak, and are of red color, if they've been feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by