Red mites - any more suggestions

LongRanch

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
Does anyone have any lesser known ways of getting rid of red mites? I've done everything that is commonly known, so now I need the stuff I've never heard of lol. This has only been going on for three days, the mites just seemed to appear out of nowhere! I noticed a couple of my girls had pale combs and started laying less, I didn't see anything when I checked them.. A few days later I walked into one of the coops and was instantly covered in red mites, all up my legs and on my arms. I go into this coop every day and have never seen anything! We have been seeing a lot of crows and magpies land in my yard over the past week, and I'm wondering if they carried the mites in.
All chickens have gotten flea baths, Ivermectin, coops have been entirely cleaned out and fogged with bug killer, Sevin Dust poured in all the cracks and crevices and all over the ground in their runs, DE in the dust baths. I replaced their regular pine shavings with some really smelly shavings (not cedar). I've put garlic, apple cider vinegar, and vitamins in the water. I don't want to use chemicals on the chicks so we've dipped them in a garlic and ACV mixture. Despite all of this, I'm still finding mites (though not NEARLY as bad as three days ago!). I thought the Ivermectin would kill everything that bit them, but the mites I'm finding are full of blood and obviously not dead.. I'm going to re-dose them in 10 days, and re-fog the coops. I'm moving in a few weeks and I don't want to bring this mess with me! I have around 80 birds so I am not interested in anything that takes many repeat treatments, just want to nip this in the bud. If there is anything else I can try in conjunction with what I am doing, and maybe something other than Ivermectin to give them (since I'm not sure that it's working?), please let me know!

De doesn't do anything for mites, period.
Permethrin, spraying the entire coop and each bird should help your battle.
The fog didn't work the first time so I would skip trying that again.

I am not sure I can get permethrin here -- I am in Canada. The feed stores don't have it. I'll check Home Depot. I did use some roll-on pyrethrin all over their fluffy bits as that was the only place I saw mites (around their vents and bellies etc). The fogger definitely worked -- I looked in the smaller (wooden) coop and only saw a few mites on the floor. I fogged it and when I went back, there were THOUSANDS of dead ones all over the floor. I couldn't believe it! The big coop (that I first saw the problem in) is metal, and only the floor and roosts are wood, and I think I removed most of those mites by just shovelling the old shavings out. I didn't see near as many dead ones when I fogged it.

O great...I must have missed read...I thought the fogger didn't seem to have worked.
Let me call someone over from your neck of the woods to see what they use for mites up there in Canada.
@Wickedchicken6

Thanks :) I was really hoping this was something I would NEVER have to deal with! Ugh! I've heard that Frontline works? Same as the drops applied to dogs etc?

Hi! I'm from Manitoba and so far...I'll used Carbaryl. (sevin dust) and so far it's been working. I've just did 70 chickens and 12 guinea fowl last weekend. It's not very fun...lol. Sevin dust is not longer approved for poultry in the US...I believe some resistance to the Carbaryl ingredient that have been noted. Retreatment is huge...especially with the correct timing.

I have the Northern fowl mite...a bit different from the red mite...I'm going to be looking for Permethrin tomorrow for myself. I can update you when I find out more.

I've noticed a product called Debantic in the PeaveyMarts on the west side of Canada and I'm assuming it would be in the TSC stores in the east since they're the same company. Tetrachlorvinphos is a cholinesterase inhibitor like Carbaryl. It's more expensive. Have you come across or used that product? I believe it's called Tetrachlorvinphos (Rabon) in the US. I've never seen much information about people using it.

Spinosad is used in the US for poultry parasites...but it appears it's only used on humans in Canada.

Perhaps @casportpony is familiar with Tetrachlorvinphos.

Thanks! We actually don't have a PeavyMart here -- I live in Kelowna, so you'd think we have everything -- but it's surprising how few of this 'big name stores' we have! It's super unfair Lol. I haven't come across these products but I'll ask around! I asked a bit about Frontline Plus, and it seems like the go-to around here for mites. I might give that a try! Seems like the safety margin is really good and it's supposed to be really effective. Since it goes into the oil glands (not the bloodstream) it is effective against both mites AND lice. Bonus! Will keep posted on the results. I will give it a go in 10 days.

I forgot to mention the Frontline. Sorry about that. It's one thing I'm not familiar with unfortunately. You sound like you know more about it. That'd be great if you'll post any results.:thumbsup

Ok...so Kelowna. I wasn't sure if you were west or east...lol. Our closest Peavey is 1.5 hours away but it's not the only store where I'm going...so if I find anything...I'll keep you posted. :)

Check for the list of approved products for laying hens in Canada, as it might be slightly different than the rules in the USA. Here the best product, for ease of use, cost, and effectiveness, is permethrin spray concentrate. Carbaryl products are no longer approved here, and dusting birds is a pain, anyway! Frontline is Not approved for poultry or most livestock in most countries. Spinosad is very expensive. De is also bad to inhale and very ineffective, especially for Northern fowl mites. Mary

Back
Top Bottom