Red mites found in compost bin...not found on chickens or in coop yet

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrsruzek, Nov 7, 2015.

1. mrsruzek

mrsruzek Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Georgia
    I found a large population of red mites in my compost bin today. I'm doing what I can do get rid of them since I learned they were there; however, it has been raining here for almost 3 weeks and it's difficult to get rid of them completely with all of this moisture. However, I'm worried they'll get to my chickens before I eliminate them. I just saw one of my chickens snacking away in the compost bin today!! I have dust baths for them, I'm checking them daily, and I'm doing everything I can do keep them and the coop dry through this heavy rain.

This had me thinking...there are many bugs that are normal to a compost bin that can be harmful to chickens. SURELY many of my fellow chicken-owner friends have compost bins as well. What do you do to manage BOTH? Will I have to get rid of my compost so that my chickens can stay safe?

2. BDutch

BDutch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2015
    the Netherlands
    My Coop
    There are a lot of healty bugs around a compost bin too.

Red mytes are very small. I am suprised that you see them in a compost bin. If you want to prevent that the chickens thake lice into the coop you can put a bowl of diathomeas earth in de dustbath. And make a muddy substance of DE with water and use it as paint to cover the sleeping branche and all the cracks in the wood.

1 person likes this.
  3. mrsruzek

mrsruzek Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Georgia
    I wouldn't have seen the mites, except for the fact that I rested my hand on what seemed to have been one of their "nests" and they were crawling all over my hand. [​IMG] Thanks for the advice. I did put DE in my dust bath mix, and I like the idea of painting DE on their roosting bars!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by