Red mites in my hair!

Tavs

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2019
Hi all,
I don't know how I missed the signs but I went away for a week in the heatwave with someone just feeding and watering the hens and came back to a mite explosion and two dead birds. Total trauma and guilt and about a million mites. They were crawling up my hands and legs as I treated the coop today and although I had a shower I just found one crawling down my arm and I just know they're in my hair. I know you can imagine itchiness after creepy crawlies but any advice! Traumatic day.

Gonna try a scabies shampoo. Info on the web is confusing. Most say red mites don't live on humans but some say they can infest your house and bedding eeeeew.

I had a mite infestation last year. The coop I first noticed the mites in, I bathed the birds with flea shampoo. It helped but didn't kill all of the mites. I would try the shampoo for lice in people's hair.

I came across this.
"Nonprescription Lice Shampoo and Cream Every over-the-counter (OTC) treatment of head lice has been approved by the FDA and contains either pyrethrins (Rid or Triple X) or permethrin (Nix). Both are effective and are considered the first line of treatment. The former can be used on children ages 2 and older, while the latter can be used on children as young as 2 months. Both only kill live lice, not nits. (2)"

Thanks so much. Four came out of the keyboard of my computer yesterday! but haven't seen any since. I'm itchy just thinking about it. According to this site it can occasionally happen.
https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/will-red-mite-infest-your-house/

They can live for 9 months without food waiting for something to walk by! I have moved the chickens out into a guinea pig run and painted the coop but some mites are on the floor maybe they've started walking away from the coop - you get them on your feet walking round there. So I've dusted the ground with diatomaceous earth and dusted the chickens with diatom and also a more chemically powder. I will do an insect bomb thing at the weekend to get the ones hatching from any eggs left and those on the ground. Will keep dusting chickens and am moving them to a new shed anyway. Should I give them a dose of ivermectin when they move? I have a feeling I'm going to have to be working at this for a while. They move so fast!

Thanks so much. Four came out of the keyboard of my computer yesterday! but haven't seen any since. I'm itchy just thinking about it. According to this site it can occasionally happen.
https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/will-red-mite-infest-your-house/

They can live for 9 months without food waiting for something to walk by! I have moved the chickens out into a guinea pig run and painted the coop but some mites are on the floor maybe they've started walking away from the coop - you get them on your feet walking round there. So I've dusted the ground with diatomaceous earth and dusted the chickens with diatom and also a more chemically powder. I will do an insect bomb thing at the weekend to get the ones hatching from any eggs left and those on the ground. Will keep dusting chickens and am moving them to a new shed anyway. Should I give them a dose of ivermectin when they move? I have a feeling I'm going to have to be working at this for a while. They move so fast!

Waste of time and money.....use permethrin.
I agree. DE won't work. Permethrin will work, it does not kill the mite eggs so it needs to be reapplied weekly for awhile. It's effective and no egg withdrawal. TSC carries it and it's quite cost effective too.

Back
Top Bottom