Red Mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lfoose, Jun 28, 2010.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have 30 chicken and one house hen. Over the weekend I noticed that my house hen had mites. After checking the outside birds, I found some of them have it as well. The househen has no contact w/the outside birds. The only similarity I can think of between the birds is the bedding. Does anyone have any idea how they got mites? Is it possible the mites came from the bedding?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have read here that parasites can hide in the bedding. Straw etc. I think.
    Could be they hitched a ride on you or another person/pet.

Imp

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:
    Can they crawl/hop/etc across the yard into the house, after the house chicken? I've heard fleas can do that.

Imp- curiously

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most likely they came in on you. Same as fleas, they will ride on your clothing.

6. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    The chickens don't free range so I guess that eliminates getting the mites from the vegetation. It must have come from the bedding then because I know I've never had them before.

I have been dusting the nest boxes, perches and bedding in the chicken coop. Is that enough or should I do more? Also, the house hen had a bath, washed the cage and gave her fresh bedding and a dusting. She seems better.

7. chickenlady53

chickenlady53 New Egg

Apr 17, 2010
    Cedar oil can be spray directly on your birds and in the coop to get rid of your mites. You can also dip your birds according to the directions. It is certified organic and can be used on all of your animals for parasites. I used it on my flock last year. Not only did the birds appreciate it (their feathers started returning immediately) the barn also smelled great from the oil residue. Spraying it in their coop got rid of all mites.
    Check out the Cedarcide store in Texas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by