red mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 25, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive just bought another chicken house (2nd hand) for in the field, its twice as large as the others so will be good for my brahmas...but...ive noticed little red and see through mites crawling all over my arms after moving it...so im guessing the house may well be infested

what can i use to kill them? im guessing their in the cracks and all......id prefer a natural non chemical solution if possible, but if not....a quick and easy solution is good too....

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Songster

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I've got the creeply-crawlies just from reading your post! [​IMG] Unfortunately, I think it's too late to treat with DE, as it's a preventative, rather than a treatment. I would try using Prozap poultry dust. It's meant to control mites. It contains permethrin, which is apparently used to treat scabies and head lice in the human world. You could also try Sevin Dust.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok i have here zerox-p.......will that likely work? (saves me buying something else) i use it on the mini-pigs houses...

4. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    they can be mites, I had them in my 1st coop cause there was a nest of wild birds in the coop. We removed the nest and I sprayed the coop (with the chickens far away) with a pesticide (it was like some outdoor ant removal stuff) and they were almost gone the next day, another spray got them all and my chickens never got the mites. I would spray the coop before any chickens go in there.

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i dont plan on actually using the coop until spring when i re do the living arrangements so have plenty of time to sort it, but the mites just have to go now or i'll itch everytime i think about it or walk past it!

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Songster

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    The Zerox-P should work. I'm starting to itch... [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've read that some people paint the exposed wood with kerosene.
    I think I'd buy a couple flea bombs, close up the building and bomb the heck out of it. The fog should do good getting in all the cracks.

Good luck

Imp- And I'm scratching now too. [​IMG]

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im itching all over, the little critters are in my hair, my clothes and all over.

bath time for me!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I have to add. Just after my post I felt something on my neck. I rubbed my neck and caught an earwig. Ugh!

Imp- 2 showers for me this morning. [​IMG]

10. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:I have to add. Just after my post I felt something on my neck. I rubbed my neck and caught an earwig. Ugh!

Imp- 2 showers for me this morning. [​IMG]

THATS NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!

Shudders... shudders! I dont like those pinschers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by