Red mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Godiva, May 19, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Songster

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have been seeing tiny little red orange critters on my chicken tractor lids (the lids are white so the red shows up real well) I am guessing that these may be mites. THey run too fast to count legs and squish real easy so not easy to see them clearly. Should I assume that the chickens have them since I am seeing them around the chicken areas? I guess I will be dusting every hen and chick tonight huh? What do you think?

2. I have them too I think they are wood lice though. Not 100% sure but they are in the wood not on my chickens.

3. Godiva

Godiva Songster

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    What do the problem ones look like? The ones that affect chickens that is? Should I dust my chickens anyway? HOw do I know if there is a problem? I don't want to wait until there is a problem - I would rather nip it in the bud... SO what do I look for?

4. k625

k625 Songster

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    When my polish had mites I looked in their crest and you could see little things moving around. Looked like dirt in there. I used just a regular dog flea/tick product like frontline, with a little squirt of Adams flea and tick and put a dot on their crest, under each wing and near their vent. That was almost a year ago, and have not seen a thing!

I hope you can figure out what you have got as far as bugs. [​IMG]

5. CUDA

CUDA Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can see how to to diagnose, and treat for red mites on my site HERE . Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: