Red mucus in chicken poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by honfor500, Oct 15, 2011.

1. honfor500

honfor500 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    I keep finding what looks like red mucus or kinda like raw hamburger in my chickens poop. They all free range ,and they all look very healthy eating well energetic no head shake or Gaping. Could this be from round worms ? I have found some round worms in there poop underneith there roost in the morning.

2. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Oh and this isnt the first time Im seeing it either I noticed it over a year ago and Have seen it off and on ever since. Most of my flock are over a year old. I havent had any birds die on me either except from a Racoon.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Where are the poop pictures when needed?? (searching...)

ok, does your red mucus look like something here (red intestinal lining?). if so, it's normal. I had the same scare, when I saw it for the first time, when my flock was young, btw:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Moderators
    is it possible to put the poop link into the helpful stickies at the top?

4. honfor500

May 9, 2011
    Healdsburg, CA
    Yeah they look alot like the intestinal lining I wonder what causes that.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Everything, with sophisticated digestion, including humans, regularly sheds intestinal lining replacing with new cells. Digestion is a critical function and this is nature's way of keeping it running smoothly. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. vthadley

vthadley New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Thank you for this! I just found hamburgerish droppings in my coop and googled it. Brought me straight here :)

7. foxystag

foxystag Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Well- whoosh! First time chicken owner and finally got the red intestinal lining scare.

I am relieved after seeing this thread and that poop chart (pretty sure I have the same reaction as any poultry owner but thank god for that chart.)

1 person likes this.
  8. Sunflower3628ac

Sunflower3628ac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    West Palm Beach, FL
    My one 9 wk old chick is pooping blood today. I have been out with them and can't tell you what would cause this. Never have I seen a boody stool like this. This doesn't look like the normal. Any ideas?

9. foxystag

foxystag Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Perhaps take pictures and share it?

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Probably is Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasite infection of the intestinal tract,leading cause of death in chicks. Some symptoms of cocci are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking normal,general look of unwell. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL CHICKS for 5-7 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Make sure medicated water,is the only water they have to drink. You can do a follow up treatment 2 weeks after first treatment for 3 days,just to make sure cocci is under control. Cocci kills very fast,but is easily controlled with medication. You can also add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)chicks love this,and you have the added benefit of them getting the medication.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by