1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RED NAKED CHICKEN BUTTS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowerpot5474, Apr 16, 2012.

1. flowerpot5474

flowerpot5474 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    We have had chickens for a long time and have dealt with mites and other things but this is just weird. We have 2 seperate movable chicken pens and one pen has chickens with missing butt feathers showing red skin . Sometimes the poo will be all runny and stick to the red butt skin, it is truly putrid. There is some scabbing around some of the vents. We just put a rooster in there, which was probably a mistake, and so now of course they are losing feathers on the top of their tail too, though some were beginning to any way. I have put D E in their dust boxes, I even tried some more potent insect killing dust mixed in with sand and dirt for dusting. I just today moved up to some pretty severe spray to put on them and the roost. About 2 weeks ago one of the chickens mysteriously died during the night, and then last night the same thing, a dead bird in the morning. No sign of trauma though I did see a few feathers outside the cage, could be the others pecking at her? Any way I have no idea what is going on. I will try to put some pics up in a minute... Elyse

2. pluckincrazie

pluckincrazie New Egg

Jul 26, 2015
    williamsburg ky
    I've noticed 2 of my 20 have no feathers .. I'm very concerned . I've dusted and seen no mites or lice . Their diet is better than mine .. laying pellets , cracked corn , sunflower seeds in mix with lots of proteins and free ranging.. maybe its just the breed ? I've noticed its orphingtons or bar rock? They are more nervous .. maybe I'm just crazy lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by