Red Neck Chicken Coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by floomph, Mar 17, 2012.

1. floomph

floomph New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    First time back yard chicken owner, well the little [​IMG] will be here within a month!

First off, Backyardchickens.com is great source of knowledge, I have learned so much here that I designed, integrated and am building my coop off others ideas from this forum. Thanks everyone that contributes.

Okay, one my neighbor named my coop the Red Neck chicken coop because I'm "WE", we being me and another neighbor, are making this coop for less then $200. Most of our materials have been for Free!

The chicken coop is 8' X 10'

[​IMG]

Here is the base frame. Three 2" X12" and Two 2" X 10, I had them laying around ones pressure treated the rest are not. In the back ground are 2" X 6" X 7' there are for all the joists, neighbor gets them for free from work that is why they are 7' long. The 80lbs cinder blocks were around my old fire pit the will be used for the footers. Everything fee so far!

[​IMG]

Floor is complete. Ground is still frozen so I had to shim the cinder blocks, Southern NH is March who would have guest. No worrys have a couple 20 ton floor jacks that will render that problem obsolete.

Okay, so the floor is a rubber backed flooring used in commercial buildings a friend gave me a couple years ago, put it in my basement but had so much left over and already bought the glue thought the chickens would like it (neighbor complained that I should have installed it in his house instead). It looks like a hardwood floor.

Also the floor will be pitched 1/2" to the rear where the clean out door will be. I'm going to put this same flooring wrapped on the walls up 9" so that the coop will be water tight on the floor to allow for easy cleaning with a hose a couple time a year.

[​IMG]

Walls are all framed. I made a gig on the floor and framed all the walls moved them aside. Two framing guns, one siding gun and nails. No charge. Love my contractor fiends that owe me. Okay those may cost me a case of beer, so lets add $25 on to my total. Well worth it.

[​IMG]

[email protected]

The Greek watching my brother work...

Walls are together!

[​IMG]

All the plywood is on. Door is on the bottom right of the picture. The opening on the side is where the nesting boxes are going. The white you see is a tarp over my tools in the shed.

[​IMG]

The windows are two different sizes because I used a split framed window, the top and bottom part of the window have an inch difference.

Hope to post current pictures of the coop tomorrow but we will see. But to give an update...
    The door and windows are in the nesting box is built. The interior is insulated and painted. There is a 7' ramp going to the door. Also the electrical is completed. There is an outside plug, two inside. Three gang box light switch inside. One for the outside motion sensor lights, one for the top internal light, one for a plug that will run the heat lamps.

Thanks for all the comments!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    [​IMG]

Nice job!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Really nice!

But I wanna tell ya, rednecks in your neck of the woods are a whole lot more .... no, wait, is that less... yah, less particular about materials, measurements, cuts, and certainly whether things are level or not than the rednecks around HERE where I live. [​IMG]

4. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a good start.
    I also used the idea of the floor slopes to the door, but mine is much a smaller coop.

5. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Looking great! Are you digging holes to past the frost line and filling them with cement to put your blocks on so your beautiful building wont shift?

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    To dig down below the frost line would be a lot of work and I am not sure some small shifts would really matter. In any case, nice start and building with used and other found materials is not red neck...it is conservation and smart.

7. floomph

floomph New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks

8. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Y'all know there ain't no rednecks up north! :lol: they all down here!!!

9. Bobby Basham

Bobby Basham Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Tucson, Arizona
    I wish I could build something that elaborate, but it's not allowed in our HOA if it can be seen above our short 5ft walls. I would use that base secured to the inside of a kennel type structure, and have the hard cloth wired attached to the 2 x 12 and extend out at least 18 inches. Then I would put some cinder blocks around the structure and plant some type of goodies in their holes, maybe some climbing plants/vines to enhance the appearance. The base would prevent spillage of sand, whatever, outside the run.

Keep those ideas coming. I have no chickens or coop plans yet. Pre-fab or build my own. I have alot of power tools and can go either route. I really do like that base idea and can use it in a different way for my benefit. --BB

Bobby Basham
    Tucson, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by