1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Neck Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pvc coop, May 31, 2008.

1. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Red Neck Coop

because it's part of the Trailer house.

The porch is on the front of the Moble Home. There were just 4 x 4 legs underneath it. So I decided to box it in and in one corner have a 5' x 6' coop. My carpenter skills are very limited, so keeping it simple. I learned a lot from BYC on whats needed. For example, the easy open nesting box, lighting, easy to clean flooring which can be slid out for cleaning, etc. I have 4 laying hens (RIR's ) due to start laying late August. They are not locked up and free range in our yard. I had to clip thier wing feathers 1 inch to keep them inside our fence. If I have a snake problem then I will start locking them up and securing the bottom of the siding better. All I bought was 2 sheets of siding for the outside walls and 1 sheet of plywood for the inside walls and flooring. The rest of the framing was scrap 2x4's.

[​IMG]
    Before Paint. I had a half gallon of paint laying around. Could of used some more, but maybe later.

[​IMG]
    Hindged panel opens for cleaning. Plywood floor covered with plastic slides out for cleaning.

[​IMG]
    Entrance not secured at this time. If a snake starts stealing eggs then I will. I don't think coyote's will come this close to home.

[​IMG]
    Lid opes on nesting box.

[​IMG]
    Looing inside the coop. Nesting box's on left. 2x4's for roosting

[​IMG]
    The yard. I had to trim wing feathers 1" to keep them inside fence.

[​IMG]
    This sheet of plywood blocks the south wind on the entrance.

[​IMG]
    Side view of nesting box.

[​IMG]
    Finished view.

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

What a clever idea! No one would ever know you had chickens under your home as it blends so well.
    On another note, we have coyotes here in Pasadena. They have absolutely no fear of people. I wouldn't count on coyotes not coming near the house, especially in the dark.

Carla

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I think you did a good job of using what is ordinarily wasted space. Very clever! [​IMG]

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I'm just stunned that your chick coop has DIRECTV!! Don't tell my girls or you'll start a mutiny! Nice Coop![​IMG]

5. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    man, that is one nice coop!

I bet they LOVE the cable tv!

6. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    What a great idea! So cool. As for the coyotes...yeah, they tend to not be so fearful as you hope, you may want to fashion some kind of door for night time.

7. pvc coop

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    What an awsome idea! I am always teasing my hubby about how redneck we are! He denies it! I see you admit it, thats the first step![​IMG] Seriously though, it looks great, so creative too!

9. pvc coop

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for everybodies compliments and laughs. I don't know how it happened but somehow my original post came up twice. I must of double clicked. Anyway sorry about that. Everybody have a good day.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, really creative idea. I, too, would put a door on it for night time. I don't know what that room is over the coop, but if you put a trap door in the floor, you could feed them without leaving the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by