Red, not bleeding, butt - year-old hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DIMBY, May 14, 2010.

1. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    What should I do? Antibiotic cream - anything else? Here's the standard info:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. I have a year-old black sex link. 7 lbs or so.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. - red (not bleeding) butt, perhaps swollen, no strange behavior, doesn't appear to be in pain, eggs are fine but this can't be good, right?
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - noticeable in last couple of days
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - no
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing I know of
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. she eats, drinks just fine
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. -- it all looks fine
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? none yet
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Tomorrow, I will put an antibiotic cream on her butt - should I be doing anything else?
    10) I'll get picture tomorrow and post.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - wood shavings.

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Possibly prolapse
    - if it is you can use preparation h or honey and gently push back in Gently -
    you should separate her so the others don't pick at her -
    if prolapse it is recommended to keep hen in dark place so no egg laying occurs so she has time to heal .

pictures may show something different .

3. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Once I grab her in the a.m., I'll be able to see better, but nothing is 'hanging out' or bleeding, and the other hens haven't been paying any attention to her, either. Poop is fine, too. I will keep her isolated for a few days, tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by