Red Olive Egger Roo, who's your daddy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoosterRiot, Nov 27, 2016.

1. RoosterRiot

RoosterRiot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    This is Fox. He hatched from an EE egg. At the time, I was breeding a Black Copper Marans over the usual mix of EE's (brown, black, mixed, etc) to make OE's. All the pullets grew up entirely black. I assume the BCM is Fox's sire. Is it possible to get a red roo out of a BCM?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's got the columbian pattern restrictor. This will basically inhibit the 'birchen' pattern of the Black Copper Marans from expressing in certain areas. The columbian gene removes patterning from the chest area, primarily, allowing the base color to express more.

3. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    So he could indeed be the offspring of a BCM?

This cockerel came from the same batch and is colored exactly like the BCM. Both have larger body sizes than my EE roo.
    [​IMG]

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yes. This guy and the other look like an olive egger cockerel (Colorwise he was sort of half way between the two.) I hatched from a BCM egg with an Ameraucana rooster. He was stunning and the only reason I didn't keep him was I felt sizewise he was too large for a majority of my hens.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Post some pics of your hens, and I might be able to pin-point the hen. The first cockerel could very well be sired by the Marans rooster, if you have a hen with the right genes.

6. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    I think these are all the EE hens I had laying at the time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have this EE rooster. I think he was separated from the hens at the time but I he might have snuck one in there. [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    This hen is the likely mother.

8. RoosterRiot

Jan 8, 2015
    That's who I was suspecting as well. She is the largest of the group, and hung around the BCM a lot. Thanks for the help! Now I need to rotate Fox in with the hens.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 junebuggena

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by