red on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyschartz, Nov 22, 2013.

1. emilyschartz

emilyschartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I have five chickens. One i noticed today is getting red on her feet. It isn't blood. I'm thinking its from the cold. Yesterday it snowed [​IMG]and was below freezing. Today its still cold. I only noticed it on her feet. The other 4 don't have it. Is there anything I can/should do to help her?

2. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Here are more pictures[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may just be a sign of health and fertility. My younger chickens usually have pink in their feet and legs. Just check to see that it doesn't become bright red or swollen, or have the black spots on the bottom of the foot pads that is a sign of bumblefoot.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  4. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    I think you are right.I noticed as soon as our temps dropped and the ground was freezing, that the pale legged chickens got red as well. Did some research and found out that seems to be the case, so no worries! :)
    I feed a bit of corn as a scratch type snack to warm them up, or some cooked oatmeal :)

5. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok thanks! I'll definitely watch their feet and i've actually been giving them cooked oatmeal yesterday and today. I was just curious since they are all 8 months old but only the one has the red feet

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    On one of the threads I read regularly, everyone was commenting on all of their roosters and hens having red feet last spring, and we all determined it was coming into fertility. I have seen mite infestations cause redness of legs on feather-legged breeds, but it usually is blood red.

7. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    The majority of my flock is about that same age! :)
    Are some of yours pale legged, some black, some yellow, for example? It is only really truly visible on the pale legged birds in my flock. Might just be that one is a tad more sensitive. I also notice it stronger on some of my pale leggeds more so than others.
    And even with it rather cold here, those sorta do it off and on. So I don't worry. )

Warm oatmeal sounds like they are well taken care of :)
    My 'poor birds'- it was 10ish degrees in the coop yesterday and they all ran out happy as could be to go outside where it was even colder! My husband keeps asking me if I have plans to heat lamp them... not in this lifetime :) They are very spoiled, just no light plans here! :p

8. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    Ok good to know. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything I was supposed to do

9. emilyschartz

Apr 3, 2013
    I have some that have yellow ish feet and pale white ish. The one with the yellow ish feet is the one with the red on them. Yes my chickens are very spoiled. They get oatmeal and free range all the time. This is one of them, her name is nuts, she likes to help my boyfriend work on his truck[​IMG]

10. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    Pretty girl! Funny how it is your yellow ones! For me it is the white ones.
    I wish my chickens were that friendly. I can't even buy mine off with food, even yummy food! I got them all as 4-6ish month olds, and a few as 2-3 yr old adults, and they weren't greatly handled by their previous owners.... my next ones I will get myself as babies and handle them a lot, hopefully that will make a difference... :) And they can't truly free range b/c our dogs might eat them... So they get to live in a huge yard with a tree and such :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by