Red on leg???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmom, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One of my 2 yr old birds has been having trouble walking. At first when I looked her over I didn't see anything so I thought she might have sprang a leg. For the last couple of days she has been laying in their run. I have a bowl of feed and a bowl of water on the coop floor for her to eat and drink out of. She is eating and drinking ok. This morning I went out and looked again and this time I noticed red streaking on one of her leg and toes. Any ideas of what it might be?

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

blood poisoning?!?

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Any chance of a picture? If you can post one I am sure someone can help.

Sandie

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My first thought is a serious infection from bumblefoot maybe or some other injury. Is she hot to the touch?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just took this picture. Any Idea? Anyone!!! It's just on one leg.
    [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:No, she doesn't feel hot. can I soak her foot in epsom salt?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Kind of reminds me of beet juice. With her having trouble walking, I'd think she sprained/bruised it and ruptured a blood vessel. I've never seen anything like that though. It does not look swollen. I assume you would have mentioned any puncture or cut. I'd just continue to nurse her and see how she responds. Keep her out of that Florida sun and make sure she has food and water nearby.

8. Rach123

Rach123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Scotland
    Me little Dutch bantam hen and cockerel have the same not quite as bad and not really between the toes, i have no idea what it is! They have not been lame or abnormal at all! Help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by