Red or White Heat Lamp????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    I am getting ready to move Tumbleweed and Snow Princess/Prince to the brooder. A friend mentioned that a red heat lamp was suppose to keep their agression down. Has anyone else heard of this?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:yup,, and a red light will help them sleep better at night,, they say now even a blue light is better. the white light keeps them awake for way too long,, and they always think its day time.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Red ... and even better, ceramic, if you can get one.

Ceramic emits no light at all, and you might find them labelled *Dull Emitter*

Chickens reportedly have little or no ability to process red light.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    If you have a choice go red.

I never heard of a blue, but I never heard of a lot of things.. If Jim says blue is better, go blue.
    How's that for wishy-washy?[​IMG][​IMG]

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have used all three. A white light for daylight, a red light at night and a ceramic heater for added warmth, if needed.

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i have heard of it a couple times. It's best to go with a red heat lamp because a white one has to much light and may cause picking.

7. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Red not only will aid in the aggression...but we all know chicks peck and if one chick has some blood on it's leg or else where the other chicks will attack that spot....the red colored bulb will help hide the red spot on the injured bird.
    And once again.....twigg in Oklahoma gives us good sound advise....your the man Frank LOL
    HappHatch'en

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by